Only thing consistent in my life is LEATHER. You may consider Brother ST371 HD Sewing Machine which wins my list. This reliable product can gracefully adorn multiple layers of fabric with high precision of stitches.
An ideal match of skill and right gadget opens the door for more opportunities. All of you need is the perfect machine which can enhance your personality as a sewist.
If anybody says that leather is easy to work on then it would be better if you tackle the fabric yourself. It is always advisable, if you properly understand the fabric to get your hands on it.
If you work on light or thin leather then you may go for domestic machine. Whereas, industrial machines are especially made for heavyweight or thick leather fabric.
I would personally suggest, to make a purchase according to your long term requirement. If by any chance you are opting for domestic machine and you know that you may shift to heavy leather then it will be wise to make a choice according to that.
Now you don’t need to put your stitches at stake and work with a guesswork. All the machines listed are the top 5 that are all set to expand your creative and innovative possibilities.
Crucial Factors to Consider While Choosing A Sewing Machine For Leather
For you convenience and a little more understanding I have mentioned a few factors which play a critical role to make a practical choice for the best sewing machine for leather.
Size and Weight
In continuation with the above difference between domestic and industrial machine one important point to ponder is the weight and portability of the machine.
The industrial machines are bulky and heavy plus difficult to carry whereas in domestic sewing machines you can get portable and lightweight machines. Both incorporates different sizes of needles which fulfills various operations.
As a sewist you might be aware of the fact that every fabric is sewn with specific needles made to perform that particular operation only. The right needle is essential to sew the several leathers comfortably.
The stronger motor, higher sewing speed. Ultimately, you can compile even bigger projects within the deadline. But don’t mistake higher speed with neat and clean stitches.
It totally depends on the thickness of the fabric. Likewise, on thick and strong leather, high speed may not work. As leather is by nature tough, slow speed may give you much better results.
Number of Built-in Stitches
Simply for your understanding, more number of stitches implies more options to create new patterns and designs. The straight stitch, utility stitch, decorative stitch and many more adds grace to your design.
However, every feature comes with a price tag. There are ample of options which I have listed that can provide you many stitches within a limited cost. Choose the best one for yourself.
Now a days it has become a fashion and a regular traditional to give maximum benefits to the consumer at the best price. But it is sensible if we prioritize our needs rather than desires. Desires can be endless and can never be fulfilled.
Some of the features you can keep in your mind are LED light, feed dog, buttonhole stitches, automatic needle threader, wide extension table, storage space, automatic thread tripper, bobbin loading setup, adjustable stitch length and width etc.
5 Top-Rated Sewing Machine For Leather With Reviews
1. Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
There are always some companies or brands, when you hear their name, you instantly say YES. Janome is one such brand which has created a legion of customers who have blind faith in it.
Janome’s HD3000 is a mechanical machine which intelligently designed for all of you. The passionate sewists will love this machine for its versatility and durability. The simple design and user-friendly features adds more conviction for a solid choice.
The 18.7 pounds machine is a heavy duty edition by Jnome that has 18 varieties of built-in stitches. Also, by just sliding off the storage space, you can turn it into a free arm feature for sewing pants hem, sleeves, cuffs etc.
When you are a passionate sewist you want to try your hand on various fabrics for that simply turn the dial and control the presser of adjustable presser foot. For sewing common garments, set the dial to 3 while for lightweight fabric, you may put it to 1 or 2.
The hard cover protects the machine from dust from the top of the machine. It makes the movement easier and keeps all the necessary tools and accessories with the machines.
Further, there are snap-on presser feet that allows you to add charm to your creation. They are blind hem foot, rolled hem foot, buttonhole foot, zipper foot, over-edge foot. Further, the storage space fits all the necessary accessories and provides sufficient accessibility to the required tools.
The jam proof bobbin setup is covered in a clear view case and you can easily wind the thread when needed. The two sliders control the overall stitch length and stitch width through a stitch selection guide.
Janome has made sure that every stitch will be perfect and like a professional finish. The 1 step buttonhole assists you to get that perfect sized button to your garment.
Moving to fabrics, from lightweight fabrics such as chiffon, crepe, lace, organdy etc to medium weight fabrics like linen, cotton etc you may try any stuff and will be surprised with the stitch quality.
Even heavyweight fabrics like tweed, leather, upholstery, denim etc, it is capable to beautifully sew thin leather, faux leather, industrial grade leather and you name anything.
The box features a number of useful accessories which makes this machine a complete package for everyone of you. The accessories include a pack of bobbins, two packs of leather needles, a hard cover, 1 packet of universal needles.
Adding to this, it comes with some practical tools too that contains lint brush, spool holder, additional spool pin, bobbin, seam ripper, screwdriver, foot control, power cord and a user-friendly instruction manual.
- long -lasting, durable and a stable machine
- Features sturdy built aluminium frame for stability
- Easily sew at least 8 layers of denim fabric or any fabric
- Heavy duty leather to thing leather garments, the machine is highly responsive
- rock solid built machine is ideal for beginners to learn sewing and for professionals to take it to the next level.
- Creates stitches everyone dreams of
- User-friendly design, versatility and easy controls
- Reverse lever stitches quickly reinforces every stitch
- The adjustable foot controller adjusts many layers of fabrics to design a chic garment
- Comes with automatic needle threader and a top loading jam proof bobbin setup.
- This speedster can sew 860 stitches in a minute
- One-step buttonhole maker is a little inconvenient to use.
- A buyer said that the manual tension adjustment is not at all handy
- A few people complained that the integrated lighting setup is of cheaper quality.
2. Brother ST371HD Sewing Machine
Brother’s creation ST371HD sewing machine is bound to work on every fabric be it a quilt or multiple layers of leather or denim. From outdoor fabrics to lightweight silks, it will respond with the same precision and accuracy. To name a few fabrics which you can note are canvas, jeans or denim, leather, suede, silk. Conclusively, it covers a large kind of fabric so you hardly need to rethink about the functions of this multi-functional model.
Brother’s ST371HD machine gives a good number of desirable features at an affordable price. The heavy duty construction makes it durable, sturdy and strong. The built stays stable and handles the high volume of projects for longer hours without vibrations.
It comes with a decent thread pickup speed and a swift threading operations. This can be easily managed with the metal constructed needle plate. Also, the 37 uniquely built stitch options are adequate to try new patterns of your choice.
These 37 built-in stitches comprise everyday famous sewing patterns with zigzag, blind hem, decorative, stretch and reinforcement stitches. Plus, the drop feed feature helps you to try your hands on free motion sewing which is otherwise convenient.
Besides, stitches it features one step buttonhole to fit perfectly to your particular button types. In addition to this, the metal chassis keeps it stable while working on thick and tough fabrics at high speeds.
With a simple turn of dial, you can choose your favourite stitches out of stretch, buttonholes, utility or decorative stitches. Additionally, the free arm option gives you liberty to hem cuffs, collars etc and can be converted into flat bed sewing surface.
To work on heavy fabrics you can use heavyweight needles like #16 for canvas, duck cloth and denim. #14 for lightweight fabrics and to do regular sewing chores. Along with this, there is an automatic needle threader to save your eyes from unnecessary strain.
ST371HD machine is a divine thing for your sewing room. The jam resistant top drop-in bobbin mechanism keeps the bobbins in place and you can check the amount of thread left on it.
The endless features also includes the spring action foot for a smooth foot transition to work on fabrics of varied thickness. It can comfortably work over thick seams and stitches.
The non stick foot floats effortlessly over the tough surfaces and ensures continuous feeding for fabrics like vinyl, suede, leather and hook and loop tape. Plus, the 6 snap-on feet quickly stitch between the various stitch feet.
The package apart from machine includes 4 bobbins, 3-piece needle set, twin needle, 2 spool caps, screwdriver, 6 feet, extra spool pin, bilingual manual, instructional DVD user-friendly quick start guide with a dust cover for machine protection.
- Durable, versatile and sturdy built
- Works with precision on lightweight to multiple layers of thick fabric like leather, denim etc
- Highly dependable for indoor and outdoor including home decor stuff
- 37 built-in stitches with drop-feed function
- Comes with 6 different feet such as spring action zigzag, button sewing, zipper, blind stitch, nonstick feet and blind stitch feet.
- It includes a good number of accessories and tools
- Easily select the stitch and one-stop buttonhole to attach the buttons on any fabric
- Comprises heavyweight and lightweight needles to carry out respective operations
- The sewing table and the storage compartment are accessible and convenient for tools
- All the important features are incorporated along with the new ones
- Worth the price
- There is an LED light but it is not as bright as required
- A user said that the machine is a baseline model but majority of the people disapproves this.
3. EverSewn Maker 100 Mechanical Sewing Machine
EverSewn Maker 100 comes with a decent amount of stitch package which can help you to enhance the look of your every garment and design. It features 21 built-in stitches comprising decorative, utility stitches and stretch stitches. The one step buttonhole can be easily used to attach buttons to your dresses and garments with a maximum stitch width of 5mm. The workspace is 6 inches wide which is sufficient to glide the fabric freely.
A delight for young enthusiasts, novice seamstress and intermediates. The machine holds good for sewing heavyweight fabrics such as denim or jeans, leather and many more.
If you are looking for a lightweight machine to carry it with you or you are often travel and want something portable then here you go. Also, there is an imprinted ruler to get the quick measurement of anything.
The overall design of the machine is loaded with professional features. Likewise, adjustable thread tension to give a perfect stitch to the garment that should be not too loose and not too tight.
Besides, adjustable stitch length itself gives you humongous stitch style patterns that you can create a new design with every new fabric. Plus, an LED light to light up the sewing station to work efficiently even in low light.
The robust engineered sewing machine contains 4 presser feet to do basic to advanced operations without any effort. There is a knob to set the stitch you love to imprint on the fabric.
The manual needle threader might not be as helpful as the automatic one but it is definitely be useful for a quick operation. Additionally, there is a thread cutter which maintains the overall quality of the garment by removing the unwanted threads.
- Mechanical machine with versatility, durability and stability
- Ideal for beginner sewers and to some extent beneficial for intermediates too
- 21 different inbuilt stitches with a one-step buttonhole
- Smoothly and accurately stitches through heavyweight fabrics like denim and leather
- Lightweight, portable and easy to store
- Imprinted ruler is an intelligent feature
- Led light to work in dim light over the dark fabric
- The strong metal bobbin with casing and hook system gives longevity
- The 100 stitch package library is printed on the front of the machine to easily select the stitch through the knob
- The free arm is capable to sew narrow bands, sleeves, cuffs and what not
- The sturdy frame and internal skeleton makes the machine longlasting
- Some of the convenient features are missing like there is no slide speed control and no needle stop up/down.
- Even start/stop button is not there.
- A buyer is agitated as he got machine with a few missing parts.
4. SINGER SEW MATE 5400 Handy Sewing Machine
SINGER, the brand which introduced many breakthroughs such as the first computer controlled sewing machine, the first zigzag machine and the first portable machine. It is one of the most recognizable brands in the world which is in the industry since 1851.
The machine is well-versed and gets out out of the trap of guesswork. The automatic features make surity of the what design you are going to get at the end of the project. The automatic tension gives the thread that perfect stretch which suits the fabric.
The 60 exclusive built-in stitches augments the look of the clothing regardless to the place it is stitched for. These include 40 decorative stitches, 8 stretch stitches, 8 essential stitches.
Plus, adjustable stitch length and width can be automatically set to give more personalized feet to the garment for your personal use or for any task from the client. The heavy built of the machine perfectly holds the operations for accurate sewing process.
The automatic needle threading mechanism is one of the best inventions till date, the way it threads the needle without any manual exercise is commendable. Also, 4 styles are incorporated for fully automatic one-step buttonholes.
The accessories in the box comprises buttonhole feet, zipper feet, all-purpose feet, thread spool cap, a pack of needles, lint brush, seam ripper, screwdriver, bobbins Class 15, darning plate, spool pin felt, auxiliary spool pin, needle plate.
In addition to this, you will find a soft-sided dust cover to protect your sewing machine, user- understandable instruction manual with stitch guide, machine introductory DVD, foot control and a power cord.
To work on jeans, leather or any heavyweight fabric, you may follow these steps. First, set the machine to longest stretch stitch. Second, use all-purpose feet. Third, to avoid tension issues, use Singer 2026 Needle (size 16 to 18) and finally, keep moderate speed while sewing multi layered fabric.
Singer provides various guided video tutorials on the topics like installing a bobbin, presser feet training and threading. Just relax, put your mind at ease and begin your sewing journey with this sewing machine.
It comes with a 25 – year limited warranty which is a good amount of time for you to understand the in and out of any machine and get it noticed by the brand. You can anytime call for online customer support to solve your queries.
- Heavy metal frame body for an excellent alignment and durability
- 60 various built-in stitches including decorative, stretch, essential and 4 automatic one-step buttonholes
- Computerized and electronic mechanism for quick operations
- Comes with needles 2020 and 2045
- Metal bobbin of Class 15
- Works at a decent speed of 750 stitches in a minute
- Automatic needle threader and LED light bulb for a glowing workspace
- Perfect gadget for beginners to experts
- Includes all the accessories you require to get started.
- If you are a beginner you can watch online video tutorial to get handsy quickly
- There is no wide table facility which makes it a little difficult to handle tough fabric
- Even lettering font is missing and there is no quilting operation.
- A user said that the power cord is too short and the machine is not for professional use.
5. Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine
Juki has definitely made a dream machine of every sewist. Loaded with features this machine is a real time champ in offering the best accessories and attachments you will ever need.
Juki’s TL-2010Q is a portable sewing machine which is capable of providing 1500 stitches in a minute. The speedy champ gives a stitch length of maximum 6mm that is ample to make the perfect seams.
This machine comes with a large throat area of 8.5” x 5.9” that can make every operation swift and effortless. If you are an avid fan of quilting then it will let you put fabric of any weight and work like a butter on it.
This durable model is an ideal option when you want to add spice with sweetness. It works perfect for regular sewing of course along with quilting, home decor and embroidery to enhance the look.
The single needle lockstitch reinforces every stitch it sews for quilting and straight stitching. Besides, it features automatic thread trimmer for tailoring, home decor, quilting and apparel.
The light weight chic comes with an LED light for illuminating your workstation but this is not sufficient to brighten up the workspace. If you find the light insufficient you can get an LED strip and put it along the internal part of the machine.
The auxiliary table of 590 mm x 277 mm gives you divine space to put all your heavy and flowy fabric over it and work efficiently. People are quite satisfied with this extension and they found that this has geared up their overall speed.
It gives you free motion sewing and you can use your both hands to hold the fabric for the perfect seams. It can snip off the thread in 3 position which covers almost a complete fabric.
The machine is fast so it makes it easy to control the speed of various mechanisms. Plus, the needle up/down avoids the tearing up of the fabric and the side load bobbin could be a little pain for people who have their hands on top load bobbin.
This machine doesn’t come with a number of attachments and I am pretty sure the features and adornments it has completely covers the whole sewing process from scratch to end.
- the machine is easy to use, worth its value and highly durable
- Provides excellent performance for quilting, regular sewing, home decorating and machine embroidery
- Sturdy built with extension table with an enormous space
- The quilters are mesmerized with the free motion quilting which gives good control over the fabric.
- Large throat space easily fits in the heavy and flowy fabric easily
- Bobbin winder works smoothly and is a time saver
- Since the machine is speedy you get a good control over various mechanisms
- Incorporated needle up/down operation
- Able to snip the thread in 3 different positions
- Comes with foot pedal and thread cutter which works perfectly
- People found the user manual difficult to understand with little explanation
- A user said that she has to buy a lighting strip as the attached LED is dim
- Some people took a while to understand the working of needle threader which was frustrating for them.
- People suggests the new users to watch online videos wherever they stuck rather than wasting time yourself to figure out the correct way.
Keeping in view the requirements of everyone you one kind of sewing machine is Brother ST371 HD Sewing Machine is the combination of all the above said qualities.
The machine is highly dependable and durable because of its built. Plus it gives you an easy access to the storage compartment.
Conclusively, you name any required feature to sew any type of leather and it is impossible if you don’t find in this champ.
The pace at which Brother is improving since it was founded is commendable as well as surprising. Not only this, all the features and accessories which comes are practical and not the fancy ones.
I am sure the above listed products fits in all the requirements you can ever desire for. This research will be a big time saver for all of you. You can buy Fashion but not Style. Keep Updating your device and upgrading your taste. Have a joyful sewing week!
Hi, there! I am Hannah Nelson, your host on this website. I started this blog to teach my lovely readers how to master the art of sewing effortlessly and how to turn this hobby into an income generating business.