The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is an excellently appointed machine for beginners with a host of features and accessories. It is well priced and being a Janome, comes with a fabulous reputation for quality. The machine is easy to use because it is well equipped with a range of features you wouldn’t normally find in an entry level machine. For example, it can handle a range of fabric thicknesses as well as a variety of materials. The machine is also multi-functional and can be used for a array of projects such as garment construction, quilting, craft projects and soft furnishings like cushions and curtains.
This is a lot when you consider the machine is low end however Janome are well known for their functional machines. Obviously, being an entry level machine, it will not come with the range of stitches and computerized functions and features which come with a Janome Memory Craft for example, but it most certainly has enough with its 18 stitches and 4 step buttonhole function to be able to make clothes as well as do piecing for quilts and cushion covers.
The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is sturdy and reliable as well, which is something you both want and need in a sewing machine. The 18 stitches included with the machine can also be adjusted by length and width using dials so that you have the capacity to create many variations to the stitches. For example, if you are quilting and stitching through several thicknesses of fabric, you might want to loosen the bobbin tension a little and increase the stitch length for the best result.
Product Features of the Janome Magnolia 7318
- Automatic Upper Thread Tension
- Drop Feed Dog (Lever Type)
- 18 decorative and utility stitches
- A 4-step buttonhole
- Jam-proof Rotary Hook
- Electronic Foot Control
- Slide Out Accessory Tray
- Manual Thread Tension Control
- Extra-high Presser Foot Lift
- Push-pull Bobbin Winder
- Slit Thread Take Up Lever
- Horizontal Spool Pin
- Incandescent Electric Lamp
- Power Switch
- Retractable Carrying Handle
- Stretch Stitch Adjustment
- Thread Cutter (Underneath the Face Plate).Free Arm/Flat Bed Convertible
- Box feed system
- Easy thread-by-number upper threading
- Adjustable upper thread tension dial
- Easy stitch selector knob
- Quick reverse button
You can see that this is a comprehensive list of features, especially for a low end sewing machine and the net result is that you will be able to undertake a variety of projects which in many ways, will be of comparable quality to those which can be turned out on a more expensive computerized sewing machine.
The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is usually priced at just under $250 and for your money you receive a lot of features which if you are creative, can create comparable results with a far more expensive machine. You can keep the savings or maybe think about purchasing a special sewing machine cabinet in which to permanently store and use your machine and accessories.
If you learn to properly use all the features and functions which come with the machine, you can use it for a many different projects. You can use it to make clothes, or step things up a notch and try making cushion covers and/or matching curtains. If you adjust the zig-zag right down, you can even do some basic applique work if you’ve a mind to. The machine is also great to use for quilting. You’ll be using straight seams for piecing and if you practice enough you can even use it for free form machine quilting.
Easy to Use
You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to learn to use this machine. Unlike many computerized machines, you can be up and sewing quite quickly, particularly if you follow along with the instructions which are on the Janome website. Features like the top loading jam proof bobbin system and the newly designed 7-piece feed dog which ensures precision fabric control, also make the machine easy for you to operate.
Product Dimensions: 18.8 x 10.5 x 14.8 inches
Weight: 17.2 pounds
Type: Mechanical Sewing Machine
Presser Foot: Snap on
Maximum Speed: 830 spm.
Maximum Zigzag Width: 5.0 mm.
Maximum Stitch Length: 4 mm.
Item model number: 7318
Warranty: 25 Years
This machine does not conform to International electronic codes.
Standard Accessories and Inclusions
- General sewing/zigzag foot
- Zipper foot
- Sliding buttonhole foot
- Spool holder (large)
- Spool holder (small)
- Vertical spool pin
- Felt cushion
- Seam ripper
- Lint brush
- Foot control/power cord
- Accessory Storage Box/ Extension tray
- Simple Design: The machine has a simple design that makes it easy to navigate and understand, even for those who are new to sewing.
- Wide Range of Stitches: The machine has 18 built-in stitches, including decorative stitches, stretch stitches, and utility stitches, that allow you to handle a variety of sewing projects.
- Adjustable Stitch Length and Width: The machine has adjustable stitch length and width, which allows you to customize your stitches to your preferences.
- Easy Threading: The machine has an easy-to-follow threading diagram, making it simple to thread the needle and get started on your project.
- Drop Feed: The machine has a drop feed system that makes it easy to switch between free-motion sewing and normal sewing.
- Free Arm: The machine has a free arm, which makes it easier to sew cuffs, sleeves, and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Affordable: Compared to other sewing machines, the Janome Magnolia 7318 is relatively affordable, making it a great option for those on a budget.
- Durable: The machine is built with high-quality materials and is designed to last, making it a good investment for those who want a machine they can use for years to come.
- User-friendly: The machine is user-friendly and easy to use, even for beginners, with a simple control panel and a range of features that make it easy to sew with precision and control.
- Limited Stitch Options: While the machine has 18 built-in stitches, it may not have enough options for experienced sewists who are looking for more advanced stitches.
- Limited Adjustment Options: The machine has limited adjustment options, which may make it difficult for some users to get the exact stitch they are looking for.
- No Automatic Needle Threader: The machine does not have an automatic needle threader, which can be time-consuming and frustrating for some users.
- No Built-in Lighting: The machine does not have built-in lighting, which can make it difficult to see the area you are working on, especially in low-light conditions.
- No LCD Display: The machine does not have an LCD display, which can make it difficult to keep track of stitch options and settings.
- No Drop-in Bobbin: The machine does not have a drop-in bobbin, which can make it more difficult for some users to change the bobbin.
- No Speed Control: The machine does not have a speed control, which can make it difficult for some users to control the speed of the machine.
- No Automatic Tension Control: The machine does not have automatic tension control, which can make it more difficult for some users to achieve consistent tension.
User Ratings and Reviews
One of the more popular Janome machines, customers rating the Magnolia 7318 have given it excellent reviews. This serves to indicate that the machine is quite popular and users are happy with its performance. A few users commented that they had trouble locating all the accessories, as not all are located in the accessory bag, but are located on various parts of the machine itself.
Positive comments which are common throughout the reviews include that the machine is really easy to use and it really is possible to be in a frustration free zone while using it. Users also commented on the helpful video for users on the Janome site which also makes the machine easy to use. Many users also like the see through bobbin plate so you can see if you are running out of bobbin thread.
The price was another thing users were very pleased with. You receive a lot more features with this machine compared to similar machines from other brands. Many users thought that if you learned how to use all the features on this machine you might not want to buy a more expensive computerized model. This machine also has an overcasting stich which users liked, again negating the need to buy a more expensive machine
The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is available from online retailers and is priced at the best price I’ve found online and also comes with Free Shipping, if you qualify.
The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is a fantastic value for the money, is easy to use and comes with a great range of useful features. If you are looking for a machine which is well priced, yet versatile and a breeze to use, be sure to give the Janome Magnolia 7318 a try.
- Related post: Professional™ 9100 Sewing Machine Review
Hi, there! I am Hannah Nelson, your host on this website. I started this blog to teach my lovely readers how to master the art of sewing effortlessly and how to turn this hobby into an income generating business.